These days, in order for a company to grow, attracting and retaining great employees is imperative to a company’s growth. Changes within the economy and labor market have lead to an exchange of power between employers and future employees, increasing the importance of employer branding.
Why is a strong employer brand important?
- It can be a powerful business tool that can connect an organization’s
- Employer/employee strategy
- Company Values
- HR policies
- Currently over 59% of employers say that employer branding represents one of the key components of the organisation’s overall HR strategy.
"Emphasize that your employer brand is not simply a company logo or career page. Instead, it is “the emotional reaction people have to the idea of working for your company.”" -Neil Costa, founder and CEO of HireClix, a boutique digital recruiting firm
How can a strong employer brand benefit my organization?
- Have an employee value proposition (EVP)
- This helps communicate a company’s values in order to attract prospective employees that have similar values in a way that highlights what makes that workplace unique
- Use factors such as company image, identity, and how you want the company to be perceived
- Internal Feedback
- What motivates people to join a particular organization, why they stay and why they leave
- Tools such as employee engagement and culture surveys, focus groups, employee forums, new hire surveys or exit interviews can be useful to gather internal feedback
- Brand Attractiveness
- Up to 39% of businesses are expected to increase investment in employment branding strategy this year alone
Importance of a brand’s social media presence
- Platforms such as Facebook and LinkedIn can show a brand’s personality
- Platforms such as Glassdoor.com can show how current and past employees feel about the company through leaving reviews. This tool gives a realistic, people-to-people view of the company
“Employment branding influences employees’ willingness to refer the organization and their sense of pride, both of which have huge benefits.” -Don MacPherson, president of human capital consulting firm Modern Survey